The northern part of India is a land embroiled in culture, mystique, mythology, and history. With historical cities like Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur donning the landscape of North India, a traveler will find many destinations to quench his wanderlust in the northern part of India. Experience the grandeur of Mughal architecture in Delhi by visiting the famous tourist attractions like Qutub Minar, Red Fort, and Humayun’s tomb. Pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi at the Rajghat.
Feel the halcyon calmness of Rishikesh and Dharamshala which can help you to empty your mind space of all the unnecessary worldly worries. Admire the enchanting beauty of the snow-clad mountains in the backdrop of Manali. You can also visit the snowy city of Srinagar which is best experienced on a houseboat in the Dal Lake.
Experience true Rajasthani colors in the cities of Jaipur and Udaipur. While Jaipur is famous for the ancient forts and Udaipur is the beautiful city of lakes. The food, the monuments, the handicrafts, and the people all are welcoming you in the experience called North India. You can book a North India tour and delve into the tranquil beauty of the famous tourist destinations of this region.
Here are the 8 best places to visit in North India with the things to do in North India in Summer season. Take a look:
Agra: The City of Love
Taj Mahal is unquestionably considered to be the most prolific monument of love in the entire world. The Agra city which is famous due to the Taj Mahal has many other wonders like the Agra Fort, Itimad-Ud-Daulah Tomb, Mehtab Bagh, Akbar Tomb, and more which you can visit for an exhilarating holiday experience. This is among the best destinations for a summer vacation in North India as the weather during this time is comfortable and pleasant.
Things to do in Agra
- Visit Agra Fort, which is considered to be one of the most magnificent Mughal buildings. The Agra fort is declared as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Pay homage to one of the greatest emperors of India, Akbar at his tomb.
- Show some love to your beloved by taking her/him to the Taj Mahal on a full moon night
Udaipur: The Royal Side of India
The city of lakes, Udaipur is one of the most romantic places in Rajasthan. This place has an abundance of natural beauty and breathtaking architecture which makes it a famous destination in North India.
Things to do in Udaipur
- Take a sunset boat ride at Lake Pichola and visit famous places like Jag Mandir, Mohan Mandir and Arsi Vilas liveried in the vicinity of the lake.
- Stay in Heritage Hotels in Udaipur and experience the grandeur of the bygone era.
- Experience nature at its best at the Saheliyon ki Bari.
- Seek the blessings of Karni Mata, which is the only temple in the world where rats are allowed to roam freely
- Shop for some traditional Rajasthani handicrafts at the Hathi Pol Bazaar.
- Experience the beauty of vintage cars in the vintage car museum of Udaipur
Jaipur: The Pink City
Jaipur, the capital of royal Rajasthan is a unique Heritage city located in the western part of India. Boasts of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, magnificent forts, palaces, and temples, the Jaipur has retained its old-world charm. This is among the best places to visit in December and during this time you can experience the immense beauty of this marvel.
Things to do in Jaipur
- Visit the magnificent Amber fort like a king, riding on the back of an elephant.
- Experience the beauty of Rajput and Mughal architecture at the Jal Mahal palace
- The knowledge and curiosity of ancient Indians are displayed at the Jantar Mantar planet observatory.
- Adore one of the most amazing structures in the world, the Hawa Mahal
- Visit the famous Bazaars of Jaipur and get yourself a Bandhini.
Leh Ladakh is a perennial favorite of Indian motorcyclists and adventure enthusiasts. One of the most scintillating and scenic destinations in North India. Leh Ladakh boasts of many high altitude motorable highways. Leh Ladakh bike trip is famous among adventure enthusiasts as it gives an opportunity to explore this place in the best possible way.
Things to do in Ladakh
- Enjoy the astounding mountains and blue waters in the Zanskar valley.
- Spend some quality time on the shore of Pangong Tso, and let the turquoise blue waters of this beautiful lake take over your senses.
- Go on a trekking expedition over frozen rivers in the Chadar trek.
- Indulge in white water rafting in the Zanskar River
Manali: A Rejuvenating Getaway
The snowcapped mountains of the Himalayas can be best experienced from the favorite honeymoon destination of India in summer in North India, Manali. With the jaw-dropping views, lush green forests, sprawling meadows, and gushing blue streams, the Manali is a lover’s paradise.
Things to do in Shimla
- Experience the thrill of Paragliding in Solang valley
- Visit the cultural icon of Manali, the Hidimba Devi temple
- Take a bath at the famous healing water spring called as Vashishtha Kund
- Go on an adventure ride to the Rohtang pass and feel the magic of one of the highest passes
Rishikesh: The adventure and Yoga capital of India
Rishikesh is the yoga capital of the world. Located in the foothills of Himalayas at the confluence of the River Ganga and River Chandrabhaga. This place is famous for ancient temples and ashrams where saints teaches Yoga and meditation.
Things to do in Rishikesh
- Do White Water River rafting in the turbulent waters of Rishikesh
- Rekindle those lost connections by setting up a camp near the Ganges under the open skies
- Enjoy Mountain biking on the beautiful trails of Rishikesh.
- Spend some quality time at one of the ashrams in Rishikesh and connect with yourself on a deeper level
- Undertake the pilgrimage tour from Rishikesh, this is the gateway to the Char Dhams in Uttarakhand
- Indulge in adventure activities in Rishikesh like bungee jumping and hop on to a flying Fox at the adventure capital of India, Rishikesh.
Dharamshala: Close to nature
Located in the heart of Himalayas, Dharamshala is one of the most scenic places to visit in North India with family and friends. Popular by the name of the ‘Little Lhasa in India’, this place is famous for its monasteries. Explore the enchanting beauty of this place with the snow-laden peaks of the Himalayas in the backdrop. Dharamshala is one of the best places for family vacations in India as it boasts of famous monasteries, temples, and waterfalls. The pleasant weather of this place attracts a large number of tourists throughout the year.
Thing to do in Dharamshala
- Get a glimpse of some of the ancient manuscripts and Tibetan artworks at the library and museum of Tibetan works and archives.
- Experience the thrill of playing cricket at one of the highest cricket grounds in the world.
- Feel the refreshing Aroma of tea in the tea gardens of Dharamshala
Srinagar: Paradise on Earth
The capital of Jammu and Kashmir, Srinagar is the door to heaven on earth, Kashmir. Situated on the bank of the River Jhelum, this beautiful town seems like a most stunning painting. This quaint little town is known for stationary Shikaras and houseboat on the bank of the Dal Lake.
Things to do in Srinagar
- Soak in the divine vibes at the Shankaracharya Temple which is situated on a hilltop and offers mesmerizing views of the surroundings.
- Explore the local bazaars of Kashmir and indulge yourself in some shopping fiesta. Spices, saffron pashmina shawl, and Kashmiri handicrafts are the famous things that you can buy in Srinagar.
- Enjoy a Shikara ride on the world-famous dal lake and experience the meaning of natural beauty.
About Author: A soul bred in the mountains, Akansha Negi doles out travel inspiration from solo wandering, exploring heritage and culture, tasting local cuisine, adventures, and experiences of her travels. As a travel enthusiast, she loves to travel in India as this country is a rich mixture of traditions, spiritual beliefs, and magnificent landscapes.